Saturday 9 March 2013

Northern Indian cuisine @ Spice of India, The Gardens Mall

I always like Indian food as its complex spicy flavours never fail to blow me away, leaving me wanting more of it.  So, when my birthday was nearing, I quickly suggested to KS to have my birthday meal at Spice of India @ The Gardens Mall just for something different.  Unfortunately, right on the eve of CNY, I came down with a bad coughing that lasted for a couple of weeks and had to postpone it until today to experience this authentic Northern Indian cuisine.


But, it was worth the wait as it was really good, although very pricey as it is a fine-dining.

Coming to an Indian restaurant, it is almost a sin to not order a tandoori dish.  They have a variety of tandoori, from meat to seafood.  We went for the standard Murgh Tandoori (RM 33) or Chicken Tandoori, which is grilled chicken marinated with yogurt and spices served on a sizzling hotplate.  The chicken meat is very tender and juicy, while on the outside, the seasonings are just so flavourful and evenly combined.


For vegetables, we ordered the Baigan Bharta (RM 20) or Eggplant Curry, which is barbecued eggplant that has been mashed before being sauteed with ginger, garlic, tomatoes, onions and spices.  I love this dish very much as it is delicious and bursting with spiciness, with a lovely smokey flavour.  The curry was sweet and not very hot.  On top of that, it's exceptionally tasty when eaten with the naan.


To go with the dishes, we had a basket of Naan (RM 8) and a serving of Plain Briyani Rice (RM 13).  As I am more of a roti person than a rice person, I had more of the naan than the rice.  The naan was quite big, but unfortunately  I wished they had cut it in more evenly sizes for a better presentation.  The rice, on the other hand, was a bit dry for me, but then again, I am no expert of briyani.

 

For drinks, I ordered a cold Lime Juice (RM 7), which I liked very much as it helped to tackle the spiciness after the meal - the level of acidity was just superb.


As for KS, the Masala Coffee (RM 8) caught his attention and he ordered that.  The spiced coffee is actually coffee brewed with cardamons and cinnamon.  It had a pretty acquired taste and to go with coffee, it did taste a bit strange at first.  The coffee is not very strong and most of the flavour comes mainly from the cardomons.  Think I may need more tries to accept the taste.

Overall, it was a good experience as the quality was not disappointing.  Plus, the service was very quick and polite.  Definitely a nice place for a quiet meal or gathering with friends as the ambiance is cosy.


Spice of India (The Gardens)
Lot T-218, Third Floor
The Gardens Mall
Mid Valley City
Lingkaran Syed Putra
59200 Kuala Lumpur

No comments:

Post a Comment